Sunday, March 29, 2009

Booka Shade at the Metro 3.26.09



Walter Merziger and Arno Kammermeier also known as Booka Shade performed at Metro, Chicago on March 26th, 2009. I had a chance to check out the show thanks to my girlfriend Sandra P. I am a big fan of their label Get Physical and of their releases. When we walked in, a sign warned us about strobe lights. We made our way upstairs to get a good view.
Arno Kammermeier, who does live electronic drums, really impressed me. He was doing all the loops himself. I call him the human loop machine. Arno had great energy and he took many opportunities to interact with the crowd, jumping up and down, raising his hands, and really getting the crowd into it. His drumming was on point.
Walter Merziger was on keyboards. I enjoyed watching him do his thing. He was less involved with the crowd and had less energy than Arno.
I have to say that on a musical note I really enjoyed what they had to offer.
The strobe lights, were painful. Maybe it was because Metro is a relatively small venue, but there were moments where the lights were so intense that I couldn't focus. I was really disappointed by this, it took away from their music.
In the middle of the show, some dude jumped up on stage and tried to get something from Walter. Security acted fast and kicked his silly but out. Of course the guy put up a fight. I don't know why these guys think they can take on 3 huge security guards.
Getting back to the show.
Booka Shade, I have one request, please turn down the lights!
Overall I really had a good time. The music was great and they really ended with a bang.
For our final score:
Music- 8 out of 10
Lighting- 4 out of 10
Overall experience- 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment